Happy 4th of July! When you think of America do you think of Old Glory waving, Baseball and Apple Pie? Then you are going to love today’s dutch oven recipe. How about some Apple Cobbler to go with all that ‘Merica?
- 1(18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix or (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1⁄2cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 (21 ounce)
cansof fruit pie filling
- cinnamon, to taste
- 25 charcoal, briquettes (at least)
- Place dutch oven over approximately 15 charcoal briquettes or over coals on a flat spot in the fire ring.
- Empty pie filling into Dutch oven.
- Spread dry cake mix on top of pie filling and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.
- Cut butter or margarine into even sized pieces and arrange on top.
- Put lid on dutch oven and arrange 10 hot charcoal briquettes in a checkerboard pattern on top or scatter hot coals over lid.
- Bake until done (this could be anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes depending on how hot your fire/coals are).
I prefer using hot coals versus using charcoal. Easier to deal with when camping and I don’t like taking a bag of charcoal with me. I also find it easier to maintain the heat I want by adding or removing wood or moving the coals around with a small shovel. What’s your preference when outdoor cooking?