Vegetables, bratwurst, and fire. If there is a more perfect union of items I haven’t discovered it. Especially after a long day on the bike as you relax around the fire with friends and family.
What you will need:
- 3 pounds uncooked bratwurst links
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 large red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) whole mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Put it together and wait:
- For each of two foil packets, arrange a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 17×15 in.) on a flat surface.
- Cut brats into thirds. Divide the brats, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms evenly between the two double-layer foil pieces. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with soup mix, soy sauce and pepper. Bring edges of foil together; crimp to seal, forming two large packets. Seal tightly; turn to coat.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 23-28 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink. Yield: 12 servings.
To be honest, when I make this I don’t usually use the soup mix. I also never “dot” anything with butter. I want to share the recipe as it was written and then share my version. My major change is seasoning. Salt, pepper, and maybe add beer if you have it, garlic, whatever grabs your taste buds.