When you’re roughing it in the great outdoors, a hearty breakfast is in order. We turn to the classics: pancakes, bacon, and eggs, cooked in a cast iron skillet over an open fire.
What to buy: Be sure to pick up a light lager (such as Corona, Budweiser, or Heineken) This will give you a lighter airy pancake and the beer flavor will add to the overall flavor instead of dominating the meal.
- 3 1/3 cups All-Purpose Baking Mix (Bonus recipe at the end of the article, think homemade Bisquick)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 cups beer (any pale lager such as Corona, Budweiser, or Heineken)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for cooking
- Butter and maple syrup, for serving
- Combine baking mix, nuts, and currants in a large bowl and mix until evenly combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the beer, eggs, and vegetable oil. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just moistened. (Don’t overmix or the pancakes will be tough. The batter should be lumpy.)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat on a camping stove or over a campfire fitted with a grilling grate.
- Test to see if the pan is hot enough by sprinkling a couple of drops of cold water in it: If the water bounces and sputters, the pan is ready to use; if it evaporates instantly, the pan is too hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Ladle about 1/4 cup batter into the pan for each pancake. (You should be able to fit 3 to 4 pancakes at a time.) Cook until pancakes rise slightly and form lots of bubbles on top, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until bottoms are golden brown, about another minute.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding 1 tablespoon oil between batches if the pan seems dry. Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.
(Recipe courtesy Chowhound)
All Purpose Baking Mix
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dry nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until evenly combined. Store at room temperature in a resealable plastic bag until ready to use.