It’s been quite a journey to get my fresh-off-the-lot 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited from its stock FCA [already awesome] state, to one that is completely redefined and purpose built… for me. That build, which you may have seen take place over the course of several reviews and install articles here at 4WAAM, has been dubbed “OVERCLOCK3D”.
Why you ask? Well, let me explain! “Overclock” is generally a term used in reference to computers; to modify (a hardware component, as a processor,graphics card, or memory) so as to increase the speed of that component beyond the specifications of the manufacture. As somewhat of a computer nerd myself, I’ve adopted that term as it applies to my Jeep JKU: to modify the vehicle so as to increase the speed and capability beyond the specifications of the manufacturer’s original design. Overclocking the vehicle allows for more enjoyment than can be achieved from a stock vehicle, and allows it to excel in the areas of rock crawling, overlanding, mudding, and just everyday commuting.
So why the “3” in “OVERCLOCK3D”? Because it’s super l33t! 😉
Obviously, there is a lot that has to happen for a vehicle to be dubbed as “OVERCLOCK3D” but a very significant part of that is building the suspension. That’s the focus of this article.
I sat down and literally spent an entire day talking with a builder and every other waking moment perusing the internet to find the parts I needed for my vision. Conversations about suspension, goals, money, capabilities, physics, and a bunch of stuff that I don’t even remember (and some of it I didn’t understand). I then developed a build list that was a good compromise for me between money and capability. Some areas I splurged a bit, but in no areas did I compromise.
There was no question, after my talks and research, that the build was going to center around a TeraFlex pre-runner style LCG (low center of gravity) long arm suspension setup. I chose the TeraFlex JK Long Arm Kit (Part #1955020) as the foundation. Next a TeraFlex Monster Forged Adjustable Trackbars, front and rear (Part #1753418/1754418), TeraFlex Front & Rear 3″ Speedbump kit (Part #1958300), TeraFlex JK Limit Strap Kit (Part #4853100), and the TeraFlex Exhaust Spacer Kit (Part #2610000) were all added.
For springs, we went with EVO MFG 3″ Plush Ride Coil Springs (Part #EVO1401/EVO1402) and the shocks are King OEM 2.5 Shocks w/compression adjusters.
We added an Artec Industries JK Rear Trackbar Bracket (Part #JK4426) to make sure we could get the rear trackbar where we wanted it, and welded on some Artec Industries JK Front Shock Relocation Brackets that we felt helped the front shocks get better alignment.
Of course, Treadwright Guard Dog 35×12.50R17s (which I have previously written about) help put the rubber to the road and are integral to the build.
All of the above gave me a very nice 3″ long arm setup, and it rides very nice. It handles everything I have thrown at it with ease. There is one thing, however, I would do differently if I did it over again. Rather than the standard speed bump kit, I would have gone with the Teraflex Pre-Runner Rear Speedbump Kit (Part #1958260 – which I didn’t realize was different). It basically has the same style of Speedbumps in the rear as are in the front. Here’s what the front Speedbump looks like.
I realized after the build was complete that the rear Speedbump was touching the top bump stop at rest. This wasn’t good, and basically meant that my springs and shocks weren’t able to do their work without interference from the rear Speedbump. This isn’t the fault of TeraFlex, their part works perfectly. It’s just one of the side effects of piecing together your own build instead of building a kit.
I called Teraflex, and they suggested swapping the factory bump stops with their Teraflex Strike Pads (Part #1992000) and that should give more clearance. It definitely shaved some bulk off the setup, and as you can see in the bottom photo, left me about an inch of clearance.
That was okay, but I decided to throw on 1″ Teraflex spring spacers all around (basically the same spacers from my leveling kit I installed before we OVERCLOCK3D everything). That moved my overall lift to 4″ and gave those rear Speedbumps a little more breathing room before they get involved in the action. Again, in hindsight, I would have preferred the pre-runner style bump stops in the rear, because they generally have a little more room, but I am happy with how things are set up now.
I am very happy with this build to date. There are obviously a few odds and ends I didn’t go into detail on, like extended brake lines and such. I still have more work to do in the future as well. Axles and steering are going to need some attention next. For now, however, OVERCLOCK3D is treating me well, and taking me to (or through) exciting places!
Here’s a video from the build.