Simple, hearty, and tasty the combination of ham and beans are everything you could want in a campfire meal. I definitely consider this one of my favorites when the weather turns colder and the campfire becomes your best friend.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Can Kidney Beans (Rinse and Drain)
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans (Rinse and Drain)
- 1 Cup Chopped Bell Pepper (I use less so it doesn’s overpower the dish)
- 1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 1 Ham Steak (12 ounces or more)
Heat oil in large cast iron skillet over the fire. Add onion and garlic and stir for about 3 minutes. Stir in the kidney beans, cannellini beans, bell pepper, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard. Make sure to mix well.
Cut the ham steak into 1/2 square pieces and add to the mix. Keep it at a simmer for 5 minutes or more. Just until the sauce thickens and the meat is heated thoroughly.
Depending on your appetite this is around 4 servings.